Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I know Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States and that it is a part of the United States, but I was wondering if I still have all the legal rights of an American in Puerto Rico.

For example, does the illegal search and seizure laws still apply? Basically, because they are a commonwealth do they follow the US Constitution?

Thanks!|||Yes, the Constitution of PR has it's bases in the Constitution of the US, and ALL the federal laws apply.|||YES, to both questions. The Puerto Rican Constitution was fashioned after the Constitution of the USA, and as a Free Associated State, a commonwealth, it follows USA Federal Laws, and must conform to American Constitutional Laws.|||Puerto Rico has its own constitution, but it is subdued to all the federal laws applicable to all 50 states. So, my answer would be yes, you do have the same legal rights.|||The only right that we as puertorricans don't have is voting for the United States president. But other than that, we follow the Constitution and all the laws that you follow (well, I hope hahaha)
I hope that helps

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment