Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I am in the process of moving to the Island and as the date draws closer I am becoming more skeptical than ever. My job transfer and my school transfer has already being approved. I know many are wondering why do I want to go to Puerto Rico.Well, I definitely want my spanish to get better and I want to attend medical school in a spanish environment. I lived in Costa Rica before for a couple of years and I loved it.|||Pro:
The people are nice.
The weather is great.
The food is great.
The lifestyle is slower, is about having fun, not all about work.
Puerto Ricans are family oriented.

Cons:
The economy at the moment is bad just like everywhere else.
San Juan, can be crowded, lots of traffic. Other parts of the island, are not crowded.
There is crime, mostly associated with drugs. Other crimes are property crime(personal items,cars etc.)

If you have a job already lined up ... and your not involved in drugs, you should not have any problems. Keep your smarts, don't do anything that you wouldn't do in any big city in the United States|||PRO: only positive is the nice weather year round

CON: 4 milin people living on a very small island that is resource deprived.
CON: doctors don't take appointments
CON: when going to hospital you have to remember to bring everything needed for existence
CON: taxes will eat you alive
CON: schools run down
CON: random gang shootings can kill even innocent people
CON: ... too many to list

PS: about beautiful woman, there is a small population of these, the rest are middle aged angrily-driving-and yelling.|||Pro's

Weather
Beach
Holidays
Food
Nature
People
Music
No federal taxes
History

Con's

Litter
Bureaucracy
Roads
Stray Animals
Drug crimes
Addicts
Services (water and light)
High cost of food
Education|||Secolorumm said it right!! So listen! Go at ur own risk.|||Costa Rica is Puerto Rico 30 to 40 years ago. If you think you are going to PR and find nice green expanses, beautiful desolated beaches, no traffic, etc. you are in for a surprise. Puerto Rico is 100x35 mile island. There are lakes in the USA bigger than Puerto Rico. On top of that only about 65 is actually habitable because of the mountainous terrain. Now put 4 million people with 2 million cars in 65% of 100x35 mile island. What you have is a big city. On the other hand see the pros and cons below,

Pros

Cheap alcohol
beautiful women
best food in the world
best music in the world
areas for parties 24/7
beautiful beaches
only USA 100% spanish speaking territory.

Cons

5th in the world in homicides.
Horrible traffic
When last I lived there, I was lived 5 miles from work and took me 30mins to get there.
Streets are equally horrible. You won't have a full year without having to change at least two tires, if not four.
The students are always rioting. If you plan to study in the UPR, expect the accreditations to be taken away soon.


When I got fed up was when my car got broken into and then keyed because it had nothing of interest after breaking the windows. My life with crime was, I was first mugged at 10 years old, then at 14 and then at 18. My first car was stolen and declared totaled because the thieves dismantle it, my second car had the bumpers stolen, then I had a van for College that I used to drive back home on weekends from the west side of the Island. It was broken into so may times, I lost count. I decided to leave the door opened with a sign saying that the door was open so they stopped breaking the window. My wife was almost kidnapped by a rapist when she was a teenager, the guy was put in jail thanks to her face rendering and the girls that he actually rapped. Two of my friends when I was growing up were gunned down, one because he was confused with his brother and the other because he was an actual drug dealer. Two floor above me lived the town's biggest drug dealer. Another guy that I knew was killed because he looked funny at another guy鈥檚 girlfriend. And that was in a reputable establishment not a hole in the wall bar. After college I worked in designing and construction until the governor in 2000 decided to put a temporary stop in all construction and on top of that the same week my last car was broken into (first sentence). Through friends I found an engineering position in San Francisco and fled the island. I do miss it very much, there is nothing like the puerto rican warmth, but I will not raise my little girl in that environment.

Edit: And people drive like they are trying out for a job as Taxi drivers in New York.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment