Friday, February 3, 2012

Mexican culture seems to be very cherished throughout Latin America. All Latinos I've met regardless of nationality listen to Mexican music like the Tigres del Notre, are familiar with Vicente Fernandez, love Mexican food, watch Mexican novelas, etc. Is this also true for Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic.|||I can't speak for Dom. Rep., but I do know they like Mexico and Mexicans very much in Puerto Rico. A Mexican friend of mine moved there many years ago and she dances in a folkloric ballet that performs only Mexican dances and is very popular over there -- they are often invited in TV shows and stuff. And of course not all of the dancers are mexican...... so it looks like PR girls love Mexican typical dances, which makes me very proud and glad!|||In our case is different, at least in the music. Is not common to see a puertorican listening to mexican music. And I love the """mexican""" food that we have, but actually is not mexican food is texan food, like Taco Bell, Taco Maker. And there a lot of ppl who likes the "novelas", cuz almost all the "novelas" are mexicans. We are more "mexicanized" in the TV programming, because almost all the channels the programming are from mexicans, like Univision, Telemundo, etc.|||Well, not really. I live in Puerto Rico and we don't listen to mexican music, we hear salsa and american music. We do see mexican soaps and eat your foods. we also know of your culture and think Mexico is a very beautiful country. I really don't know about Dominican Republic, but I think they have there own music too which is the merengue. This goes to all latin countries Spain, Venezuela, Colombia, Cuba, Argentina and ect.......|||Well I can talk about Puerto Rico. I can tell you that back when Mexico and Puerto Rico were part of Spain the interchange of our cultures was big since the "situado" which it was the payment for the soldier, used to come to Puerto Rico from New Spain, Mexico. Back then many people that were "law offenders" in Mexico were sent to Puerto Rico and once they have finish their punishment they didn't go back to Mexico, this for different reasons and they decided to stay here. Here's a town were the population of Mexicans was so big that the patron Virgin is the Virgen de Guadalupe, Guadalupe's Virgin, and that's the city of Ponce. We call still calling "peso" to the American dollar. The Mexican novelas are well seen here in the island and some of the music too as the Vicente Fern谩ndez, Marco Antonio Mu帽iz, Pedro Infante among others. In comedia every body knows Cantinflas (Mario Moreno), Roberto G贸mez Bola帽os (Chespirito), Ram贸n Valdez, Carlos Villagran Pirolo, Ra煤l "Chato" Padilla, Maria Anonienta De lAs Nieves (LA Chilindrina), El Loco Valdez, Capulina, Florinda Mesa, Angelines Fern谩ndez, Edgar Vivar ,etc. Actually many people of my generation grew up watching El Chavo Del Ocho and El Chapulin Colorado. back to the 50's and the 60's there was a nice exchange among Puerto Rico and Mexico were many movies from both countries were film among Puerto Rico and Mexico with actors and actresses from both countries. I remember this movie were Cantiflas was acting as a doctor and one of the characters was played by the Puerto Rican actor-comedian Miguel Angel Alvarez, known as Johnny El Men. About the kind of music played by Los Tigres Del Norte as la "quebradita" and "rancheras" that music is not heard here, the "rancheras has a little fans, but you can't say is a big hit. We have heard about it in the local channel 11, which in the Mexican brand Univisi贸n. The Maricahis music is heard in Mexican restaurants or if you contract a group of Marichis for your activity, but is not played in the radio. You won't hear the "Lor Tigres Del Norte" in the local radio either. The Mexican community in Puerto Rico is big and I bet there's a Mexican restaurant in almost every city of town. The best fights in the world of boxing have been characterized by Puerto Rican and Mexicans boxers as Wilfredo G贸mez and Salvador S谩nchez (R.I.P.), Oscar De La Hoya, whom I don't consider Mexican due is American, and F茅lix "Tito" Trinidad. The code of the Mexican ARMY was developed by a Puerto Rican. As you can see we have had ex changed our cultures openly.|||Ok, this is my personal opinion on this question from my experiences. I know people are familiar with Mexican music or artist. But the music you really hear is reggaeton, salsa, merengue and bachata. I know that people might get mariachi bands for special occasions or buy music from artist that are Mexican, but it is not music you hear on a daily basis.

The novelas that are shown in Puerto Rico are a variety of nationalities. What a person likes will be up to their personal preference. I personally don't watch Spanish novelas.

Since I have lived in Chicago and have had real Mexican food, I can say that the Mexican food they serve in PR is not real Mexican food. I have tired so many places and until I found one restaurant Taco Bell was the closet to Mexican food on the island of PR. A lot of Puerto Ricans do not like spicy food, I do..lol. Even in the grocery store you can not get that much Mexican ingredients. Corn tortillas suck here, you heat them up and they are still hard. You can not find chorizo, chihuahua cheese, queso fresco, carne al pastor, haas avocados and so much more. I can tell you the first taco I had in PR was on a flour tortilla and was filled with mashed potatoes and had shredded chicken on top and that was it. It was ok, but not what I was expecting at all. They didn't even have cheese, lettuce or tomato..lol. I can't wait to go back to Chicago to have real Mexican food (I am pregnant so these cravings don't help..lol) Oh forgot to say the first time you can't even buy arrachera here at all. They have what is called churrasco and it is much thicker than arrachera.

But, I would say that the Mexican culture is welcomed and Puerto Ricans really enjoy the Mexican culture. Just like any other nationality Puerto Ricans enjoy food all types of food, music and TV shows. Just like I know that Mexicans love Puerto Rican food and music. But hopefully that gives you a better understanding. I can't not say anything about the DR though, sorry.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment