Friday, February 3, 2012

The commonwealth of Puerto Rico is composed of mostly Roman Catholics and cannot be accurately classified as Democrats or Republicans, liberals or conservatives. However, we are Hispanics, and our primary language is Spanish.|||The last information I read about this issue, was a majority of the citizens, do not want Statehood and haven't for a dozen years and don't appear to be any closer to desiring it.
I'm not sure what correlation I see between their "political" ideologies and their simple desire to remain independent and free of the encumbrances of Statehood.
And with a larger number of our own States seriously researching a move to secede from the U.S., I admire their will to remain free and independent.|||It's not really about Americans in general, but Puerto Ricans.

Last I heard, Puerto Rican public opinion was still split 30%/30%/30% -- with even support for continuing the status quo, becoming a state, and becoming an independent country.

It would take something closer to consensus before the question is anything but moot.

Uh, who lives there is irrelevant.

There are lots of Roman Catholics and Hispanics all over the US already. It's not as though those things aren't allowed or something. (Ditto people whose first language is Spanish.)|||The way things are going we would be better off with making Mexico the next state they certainly appear to want to live here. Puerto Rico has the best of both worlds. All the rights of an American and no federal taxes.

When I was very young and saw a picture of our Lady of G------(don't have the correct spelling) I thought that can't be right it doesn't even look like her. I was used to the pictures of our Lady so beautiful and saintly in blue and white. The older I get I realize how very right it is. Our Lady has given the world millions and millions of soldiers to fight for her Son and our Christian way of life. In this day and age the South Americans are holding up the banner for us all

Love is the primary language of the world.|||Apparently I'm the only Puerto Rican answering this.

BTW, we DO pay taxes in PR. We have US military bases, federal loans and federal taxes, USPS, etc.

Before you get all high and mighty about how the US is keeping PR afloat I would look into what brought the states into PR in the first place and how violent that was. Examine that relationship first before you think you're just handing off big american dollars to the tiny island to keep it alive.

Half of the island votes for it and half votes against it, year after year. I for one (as a Puerto Rican actually from the island) am all for it. The military bases are closing because US soldiers bombed a civilian during "training" on the beach in Vieques & there were a lot of cases of cancer around that base due to their training.

It doesn't really matter what any of you think, you're not the ones voting on it. I cast my vote, but like I said its always 50/50 and nothing ever happens. Our democratic party wins for a few times in a row, then our republican party wins a few times. Good luck with that.|||I'm all for it. Have been for years. But it won't happen anytime soon. I think most people feel, rightly or wrongly, that Puerto Rico would vote Democrat. The only way they could join the union is if we also let someone in who would vote Republican. Too bad.|||I'm from Puerto Rico, i think the most we are afraid of being a 51 state is to loose our culture, loose our language. There are a lots of more things we are aware of but i thinks personally that is the most important.|||Speaking for my self, I would love to have Puerto Rico as the 51st state of the union. I don't have a problem with any ethnic group, sexual orientation etc. AS LONG AS YOU ARE HELPING SOCIETY AND NOT DESTROYING IT, THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY ISSUES!|||This is a question for the people of Puerto Rico to answer. It doesn't matter what the rest of America thinks. Puerto Rico has been given a couple of opportunities to vote for statehood and have voted it down each time.|||No thanks, I'd prefer Canada (minus Quebec) as the 51 State.|||Puerto Ricans don't want to pay the taxes.|||I would rather have Poland be the 51st state.|||no let them go free and take care of themselves

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment